I scored a mega-deal on eBay a while back for this EVEm mini-ITX computer with an EVEm DC/DC power supply, in a generic mini-ITX case.
The EVEm has a VIA C3 Samuel2 600MHz “1GigaPro” CPU and a VIA VT133 Chipset.
I added the specified maximum of 256MB of 133Mhz SDRAM, and am currently using a 3.5″ 6.4Gb hard drive.
For more stats, look in this forum thread and in the English Manual. The support site can be found here.
The DC/DC Power supply is based on the Texas Instruments TL1451A.
Here are a few of my scribblings on what could go into a carputer that I’ll be building. Don’t expect it to be coherent or make much sense.
- Basic Computer (VIA C3 667Mhz [Bought])
- Hard Drive (Mounted on its side!)
- Laptop Hard Drive [Have] (Vibration-Resistance)
- Regular Hard Drive with vibration damper (rubber or springs)
- LCD Display, 6-7″ (EPSON 6″ LCD Monochrome [Bought])
- Need Controller
- LCD Display, 13.3″ (Sharp LQ13X02C, from Dell Latitude CPi [Have])
- Need Controller
- Vertical display replacing center console?
- Replace the center panel with screen, and have computer- or PIC-managed temperature control
- LCD Display, 2×16 Characters (Dashboard) [Have]
- Nokia 3310 LCD (HUD) [Have]
- Music Storage/Playback
- Aux In on head unit
- Hacked Kenwood CD Changer Interface?
- PS/2 Laptop Touchpad w/2 buttons [Have, from Dell Latitude CPi]
- IR Keyboard [Have, from MSNTV2]
- Car Alarm
- GPS [Bought]
- GPS Trip Display on LCD
- GPS Trip Logs
- Webcam(s) [Need] (IR Lights for nighttime driving)
- Video Recording
- Sync against GPS for speed+heading overlay in a process later
- Rolling buffer: Button press to save X minutes of video
- License Plate Recognition
- Sync against GPS for database of where/when’s
- Back-Up Warning System (Wired to reverse lights)
- OR Ultrasonic Sensor for back up warning
- Car Alarm That Takes Pictures
- Wifi Antenna [Have]
- Kismet (Win/Linux)
- Netstumbler (Win)
- Auto-Upload of trip telemetry to Home Server later
- Send files through ssh/vpn tunnel through open AP’s?
- WRTSL54GS [Have]
- Kismet Drone OR Server
- Automatic Open-Wifi Connector
- OBD-II Interface (Kit or Chip)
- Digital Telemetry
- Trouble Codes
- “Digital Dashboard”
- Directional Microphone [Have]
- Voice Recognition
- DC-DC Converter [Bought]
- Inverter [Have]
[Bought]: Bought specifically for this project
[Have]: Had from another project, or just had laying around.
How-To Linux CarPC – Gentoo
Mazda3 CarPC – Linux
LinuxICE – In Car Entertainment
Carputers: Software and How-tos